The Orlando Tennis Centre is the City of Orlando’s premier tennis facility, offering adult tennis clinics (18 and up), league play, private lessons, tournaments, USRSA Racquet Stringers and youth tennis programs (6 and up).
The Orlando Tennis Centre was established by Orlando City Council action on November 4, 1931 when the Superintendent of Recreation, Clarence Varner, was given authorization to go ahead with “four clay courts” at the Fairgrounds. In 1932, the Orlando tennis playing community began officially using the Orlando Tennis Centre, which makes the centre today the oldest operating public recreation facility in the City of Orlando. “Big” Bill Tilden, widely considered to be the father of American tennis, was the featured player in 1933 at the Orlando Tennis Centre. His celebrity tennis event launched a long series of appearances by world famous tennis players at the Orlando Tennis Centre, many of whom are honored at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. These events continued into the late 1960’s and included such world famous athletes as Don Budge, Fred Perry, Jack Kramer, Bobby Riggs, Fred Stolle, Pancho Segura, Poncho Gonzalez, John Newcombe, Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, and Roy Emerson.
In August of 2012 a facility restoration and program transformation began with the recruiting of USPTA Master Tennis Professional and Tennis industry management leader Tom Sweitzer. Under Orlando Tennis Center Manager Sweitzer, professional tennis returned to Orlando with the USTA ITF Pro Circuit $10,000 Orlando Women’s Open. Tennis Channel’s Dave “Koz” Kozlowski was recently covering the Orlando Tennis Center event and recorded this video: